Friday, April 12, 2013

What My Daughter Doesn't Like Today

She's been 3 years old for two days, and I hope I can chalk this up to growing pains. Sitting at my desk at work and her piercing screams are still echoing in my head.

Here is a list of what my makes my daughter yell "I no like it!" "I no want it!" or "LEAVE ME ALOOOONE!"

Today, EL does not like:

The shirt I chose for her this morning.
Wearing socks at all.
Wearing black shoes.
Ponytail holders.
Breakfast.
The car door being open.
The car door being closed.
The closed car door being locked.
Being in a seat belt.
The way we took to school this morning.
Dropping her big sister off at school.
The Hoan Bridge.
Lake Michigan.
The truck that was driving in front of us.
Turning left.
Her daycare center.
Her mom leaving her at the daycare center.

Ah yes, it's been that kind of day. And it's only 9:07 a.m.

Walking into the center, I held EL and she flailed her entire body around. We lost two shoes in the process, and a stranger brought one back to me, and I found the other in the hallway. It all reminded me of my older daughter's Great Shoe Debate of 2011. It seems that my entire family has shoe issues.


Our mornings are on a such a time restraint. I have to wonder, as I'm dragging my screamy, kicky daughter around.... is it worth being on time? Would giving her a few minutes to "scream it out" to herself in her room make it any better. Being five minutes late would be worth it, even though being 5 minutes late to my job guarantees I will have to park farther than two blocks from my building. But still, worth it.

On the flip side, it could be a day where screaming for a few extra minutes in her room would still mean she would scream and fight our morning routine. So maybe not worth it at all.

Getting three of us to three different locations five mornings a week has proved to be the hardest part of our year. I keep telling myself... only one more year to go. And somehow, that's not that reassuring, but at least I know it won't be this way forever. In another year and a half, my daughters will be at the same school. And it won't be a day soon enough.




4 comments:

  1. Funny thing is that you'll look back on this time and it'll seem like a blip on the radar. But while you're actually IN the blip, it probably doesn't look as...um...blippy. :)
    Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a long blip... but I'm thankful to be at work. DId I mention someone brought in scones? It's going to be an OK day after all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How much do I LOVE that you started a blog? I have missed your writing from MetroParent. This is going to be lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. THANK YOU! I was burned out, but I love having a blog again. Thanks for all your support and encouragment... it's what helped me get here!

    ReplyDelete